Sunday, May 23, 2010

Run Maadi!!

A 10k run is a huge personal achievement. Each runner has his/her own story to tell. And here is mine

Pre-race:
At 740am I reached Kanteerva stadium. Entered via Gate 5, did some warm ups and stretches. As I entered the stadium. it was evident, the mood inside was electric. There is a huge crowd cheering the professional race participants. There was ten min lag between the professional race and the 10K race. At 8:10am there was a big announcement of start of race. Every one was excited to start. There were hordes of participants who jumped the fence to enter the race arena and start off immediately. I was more cautious. I did not want to get hurt before the big run. So took the gate and entered the field. Once on the field started a slow jog. As I stepped on the mat (which has the detectors), the clock showed 8:21am.

8:22: Raghu (my engineering friend, who came from Hyd specially to run the race), handed me a bottle of water which can come handy.
8:23: As the crowd passed through the exit gate of the stadium there is a decrease in pace (also for the fact it is a steep climb for the exit gate). I slowly walked, criss crossing and dodging the crowd. Raghu and myself begin our journey on road with a war cry.
8:25: Pass through Mac Donalds on Kasturba road and the board showed completed 1km. Raghu shouts "Hurrah!! done 1, 9 more to go!!".
8:26: Enter onto Queens road, beside Chinnaswamy stadium. A volunteer sounds and instruction "Turn right ahead. You can also find some water there".
8:28: Passes through the 2km mark. Small disappointment. Ran for so much time and it is only two kms.
8:30: Overtook Sreekar (my neighbor at BTM). All three of us started together, but he paced ahead while at the exit gate. So finally caught up with him.
8:32: Took the off-shoot 1. which touches the Bible house on MG Road. The way back was a steep road. Had to slow a bit.
8:34: The bottle in hand was turning heavy. Now that I can see that water is being distributed all through the way, wanted to discard it. Took two sips and threw the bottle away (All environment conscious guys!! please be assured that the organizers have arranged to pick all the used bottles from the race track. So don't blame me.). Even the two sips had a affect on me. I can feel the water shaking in my body. :P. With that discomfort slowed down my pace for a few mins.
8:36: Now there was suddenly a bout of tiredness. Initially my idea was to run 7kms at a stretch without break. I could not keep myself on running mode any more. It was necessary I break my pace. I started walking. Next four mins I kept walking. Walked through off-shoot-2. This touched Cauvery emporium and brigade road.
8:40: Finished my first break, resumed running. Crossed the 4km sign post. Happy to see that. 6 more to go. I need to pace a bit.
8:42: A couple of guys cheering from the right side building ( I presume it is a military establishment). They gave enough strength to keep me going.
8:45: Touched the Manipal center (end of Cubbon Road). Turned on way back.
8:46: By now a lot of faces have become familiar. I know who had the same pace as me. They are ahead of me sometimes and then I pace ahead of them sometimes. But because of same speed there are always together. Now a bit of humour. I hear a girl speaking on her mobile saying her parents are in town for next one week and she will talk to them soon. But right now she is running. I did know what it actually means, but brought a smile on me the fact that she is in a race and she is happily chitchatting. :P.
8:50: A group of policemen keep cheering. I thought what would have happened to me if there is no cheering. Encouragement is much needed when on such an arduous task. It does not matter from where it comes from: an acquaintance or a stranger.
8:52: See a lot of participants queuing for water. Way to go. My time to race ahead.
8:53: Just about to turn on the offshoot-3 suddenly I trip over an empty water bottle. I ran into someone. Apologised and continued running.
8:55: Enter the cooling area. There is a spray mist of water and perfume. I also believe they had something to energize us.
8:57: Touch infantry road and turn back on the offshoot. I see the carpets again. I wanted to stamp on them for making me run like this.:P. So I bang them hard.
8:59: Touch the 6km mark. Time to relax for a while. After entering the Cubbon road, i relax. Started walking for next four mins.
9:02: Hear a lot of cheering from Military men dressed in civilian clothing. Some say "Po Da!!"... some say "Bolo Bharat Matha Ki Jai". The way they shout puts a lot of energy in one. I resume my running all inspired. Now I would not stop till I hit the 8km mark.
9:04: The anchor with the mike announces: "Quarter of a race to go.. you have come all the way ... now dont give up here".... I mumble to myself..."I wont give up here... I will do it asap". He then gives a slogan "Lets go.. Bangalore!! Lets go Bangalore!!". Now I got a new chanting mantra... "Lets go Bangalore".
9:06: I keep chanting "Lets go Bangalore" and cross the 7km mark. 3more.
9:07: Two kids energetic and enthusiastic look at me and say "Go!! Go!!". So I need to "Go!! Go!!". I come to hit the Queens road again. and then run towards the GPO.
9:08: The anchor here says "Give me a Hi-Fi and Go. Don't let away at this moment. You have come here so complete. Only quarter of a race.". I say to myself " I heard that before. Run that quarter... you will know...dont just keep saying." :P.
9:09: Turn left to enter the Vidhana Soudha road. Here a mom and her kid look and say "Run..Run..".. so i keep running running.
9:10: A police truck passes through, followed by another. These guys are clicking pictures. Wow!! I wave my hands for them.
9:11: I pass through the 8km mark. Time to break. Plan to walk next one kilometer and run the next. Turn towards High court and Cubbon Park area.
9:14: Saw a kid vommitting out of dehydration. Just hope someone is there to take care of him. Hear two photographers comment on him. Thought it would be more helpful if they could help the kid.
9:16: Reaching almost the end of Cubbon Park. I see an ambulance with the emergency lights on. Just felt sad for someone to come almost close to 9km and could not complete the race.
9:18: Complete the longest strecth of walk. Lasted for 8mins. But it is a well needed break before i dwell on the last patch of the race. Now started running with all rigour. I am doing it
9:20: Cross the 9km mark. Hurrah!! 1 more to go. See a lot of people crowding at the water stall. A few steps ahead also saw volunteers giving glucose powder to all participants. Some were taking it in water bottles, some in hand and eating it directly. Thankfully i need not break now. Time to pace.
9:22: Enter Kasturba road again. I know I am close. Just a matter of mins. I motivate myself saying, run for next ten mins come whatever may. Keep going.
9:24: I can see the stadium. Hurrah!! I am there. I am nearing. Now time to focus and not to loose on pace. Keep going. Here a lot of senior citizens from CRY, stood on both sides of the road to give Hi-Fis. It is a much needed motivation. Last minutes are always crucial. Anyone can give up anytime. Thanks for them I enter the stadium
9:26: I stamp on the carpet. Hurrah!! I just completed a 10K run and I am still alive. Best part finished 10kms in 1hr 15mins. Thats a record for me.

After race:
I collect the refreshements. Drink gallons and gallons of water and sit to relax. The entire day today, my legs are aching but this is nothing before what I have achieved. Enjoyed every step of the race. Looking for more such now.

Update on this post:
1. The race timing can be viewed at
bib number: 2958
2. my pic while at race:

1 comment:

  1. Good work and good narration!!! It reminded me of my 10K run in 2009. Really the encouragement people gave from either sides of the road is much needed. Happy Running...

    ReplyDelete